Barbara's Beat: Target's new commercial is topic of debate
Sam's Club

Friday, October 19, 2012

Target's new commercial is topic of debate

The holidays are coming!

Dream Big, Save Bigger this season at Target.

If Target is trying to help us have more civilized discussions again, I'm not sure it's working. It's new commercial seems to be splitting people into two groups - those who love it, and those who hate it.

Have you seen the ad or heard about it, yet? If not, take a look. Which side are you on? 
 




Half say it's too early to run ads for Christmas. They think Target is playing greedy, trying to take advantage of the little guys.

The other half says Target has a right to release the ad and make money. They think the dog's cute, they love the music, and they're ready for some holiday spirit after all the bickering going on these days.

As for the music in the ad, it's Kate Miller-Heidke singing a very fitting song, "Are You Ready?" It's on her new CD, "Liberty Bell," which was released last week.

At the end of the video you will also notice that the Christmas balls say 5% off every day with a Target credit card, free shipping at target.com with your Target credit card, and Target will now Holiday price match beginning Nov. 1 - Dec. 24, in-store. (There have been a few changes made to this.)

Disclosure: This is not a sponsored or paid post.

11 comments:

Marysa said...

I am not surprised that retailers are pushing holidays earlier and earlier, and I personally never shop during the craziness of holiday shopping, so I would be among those that shop early.

For me it's not debate-worthy... there are lots of retailers that have had Christmas stuff out for months (like Michaels). Right now I'm more focused on stuff like the elections, school year, etc. Maybe a little surprised to see the commercial so early, but does not bother me.

Unknown said...

I think it is way way way way way too early.....it's not even Halloween yet seriously?!?! I think they are way too money hungry. I wish I could see one big company actually take part in the real meaning of Christmas to set a good example instead of buy buy buy...Grrrr

Mary said...

Our Kohl's store was putting Christmas stuff out a month ago. Actually, I think the commercial is really cute. I used to get paid only once a month and, believe it or not, some people still do. So, if you think about it, those people only have two paychecks before Christmas! I worked for years getting paid like that. 28 at my last job and 8 at the one before that. Those people who get paid that way have to really budget their money big-time!

Janet W. said...

It doesn't really bother me. I don't usually pay much attention to commercials anyways. I think the dog is adorable, though!!

Unknown said...

I could go either way with it, the dog is what makes it anyway

jamie braun said...

Dosnt bothe er. Most people have started their xmas shopping, so why now let them advertise

mommabosnick said...

The commercial doesn't bother me! I LOVE Christmas and I actually started listening to christmas music over a week ago! It's never too early to get in the holiday spirit. It's a wonderful commercial and the doggie is adorable! People just need to stop being grinches! Businesses have been doing this for a very long time and there are other stores out there who have already started decorating for Christmas. It's a big spending season and they have to get on their "A game". Keep doing what you are doing Target! I love you!

Kathryn said...

I haven't seen it, but ads for Christmas before Halloween are always a turnoff for me.

Unknown said...

I haven't seen the ad before but it doesn't bother me at all.

knickgirl_3 at yahoo dot com

Unknown said...

I haven't seen the ad before but really i dont think its much of a concern for debate...lots of stores have had Christmas things out and some people need to spread out their "shopping" so sometimes the earlier the better but personally i'd like to wait til after rememberance day to start seeing Christmas things

Jenn Hiles said...

I'm one of those people that only get paid once a month so I only have this months and next months paycheck to do my holiday shopping. My december check will come right after Christmas. and the older I get, the more I hate doing last minute shopping and fighting the lines/crowds/parking lots. So for me, the earlier the better!