Barbara's Beat: New Year's dinner at my house
Sam's Club

Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's dinner at my house

People of some countries consider ham and pork to be the luckiest of all New Year foods. Pork is a lucky New Year food because pigs symbolize progress. In places like Spain, Portugal, Hungary, Cuba, Spain and Austria, roast suckling pig is served for New Year's day.

In other places across the world, other pork delicacies like pig's feet, roast pork and sausages are served. I fix pork sausage with sauerkraut, because if you have pork on New Year's day you live "high on the hog".

Our traditional fare consists of black-eyed peas for Peace, flavored with hog jowl for Joy, bacon if I don't have hog jowl. They also represent coins. Greens for Greenbacks (money), and good luck in remembrance of times of hardship and courage.

A pan of cornbread for Gold makes our New Year's Day dinner complete.

It is said that if you eat these foods on New Year's Day, you will have plenty of money for the coming year.

I don't know if it works or not, but it's a tradition that I plan to follow for dinner every New Year's Day. I don't want to take any chances. Who knows what our finances would be without following tradition.

What's for New Year's dinner at your house?
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

EmmysBoosAndRawrs said...

Do you use outlook express? I tried to click that email link when I went to contact you but it said I had to download outlook express to email you. I'll have my boyfriend look at it to see if he can somehow disable the outlook express thing, as I just want to use my regular yahoo email. But if you would shoot me an email at littleheathen9109 at yahoo dot com in the mean time that'd probably be the easiest way. :)