Real Families. Real Waste. Real Solutions.What can you reuse, recycle and compost at home? You may be surprised.
See how Glad had eight families tackle waste in their homes in one week. Then put yourself to the test with a quick quiz.
Are you a waste management pro in your home? The Glad quiz will give you some helpful tips and a little extra credit for a job well done.
- The average person generates 4.4 pounds of trash each day? Currently only one third of that is recycled or composted, while on average more than 75% of all trash can be diverted to recycling and composting.
- The average American family throws away an estimated $1,500 in food and beverages every year?
- If you use reusable bags once per week, four or five reusable bags will replace 520 plastic bags a year.
- Food scraps make up the largest amount of waste going to landfills — over 30 million tons per year — that’s the weight of 6 million elephants!
- If you laid all the aluminum cans recycled in 2011 end to end, they could circle the earth 169 times!