Oscars Smokehouse Inc. of Warrensburg, New York is recalling 11 of its 7-oz. “CHEESE SPREADS” varieties marked with three digit lot numbers ranging from” 719-959” because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- JALAPENO PEPPER CHEDDAR SPREAD, NET WT 7 OZS.
- CHEDDAR SPREAD & BLUE CHEESE, NET WT 7 OZS.
- CHAMPAGNE CHEDDAR SPREAD, NET WT 7 OZS.
- GARLIC CHEDDAR SPREAD, NET WT 7 OZS.
- PORT WINE CHEDDAR SPREAD, NET WT 7 OZS.
- TANGY HORSERADISH CHEDDAR SPREAD, NET WT 7 OZS.
- PLAIN CHEDDAR SPREAD, NET WT 7 OZS.
- “MORE THAN” CHEDDAR SPREAD, NET WT 7 OZS.
- HICKORY SMOKED CHEDDAR SPREAD, NET WT 7 OZS.
- BACON & HORSERADISH CHEDDAR SPREAD, NET WT 7 OZS.
- BACON CHEDDAR SPREAD, NET WT 7 OZS.
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The recalled products were distributed nationwide through mail order sales, wholesale sales and one retail store between 3/21/2013 to 3/21.
The product comes in a 7 oz., clear plastic container marked with lot numbers 719-959 on the bottom of the container or on the cheese spread label itself.
NO ILLNESSES HAVE BEEN REPORTED TO DATE IN CONNECTION WITH THIS PROBLEM.
The potential for contamination was noted after routine testing by the MINNESOTA DEPARTMENT of AGRICULTURE (MDA) revealed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes in 15 products, which included the 5.5lb.package of CHEESE SPREAD BASE produced by PARKERS FARM ACQUISITION, LLC that was used to further manufacture the above mentioned Oscar’s Smokehouse Cheese Spreads.
The production of this product has been suspended while the FDA and PARKER FARM continue to investigate the source of the problem.
Consumers who have purchased any of the 7-oz. “CHEESE SPREAD” products are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Customers with any questions may contact Oscar’s Smokehouse, Inc. at 1-800-627-3431, Monday-Sunday 8am-6pm, EST.
This recall is being conducted with the knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration