Put your best foot forward, today is National Walking Day, and throughout April’s Foot Health Awareness Month participate in Orthaheel and Dr.Weil Integrative Footwear’s 2nd annual Walkaboutcampaign!
With statistics showing 72% of Americans say they don't exercise because foot pain prevents them from doing so, and a recent study showing too much time spent sitting could increase the odds for Type 2 Diabetes, getting active and making foot health should be a priority.
Celebrity fitness trainer and brand ambassador Juliet Kaska of JK Zen Fitness, will lead Walkabout participants committed to walk thirty minutes a day to attain physical and emotional health and well being.
The first of the campaign’s 28 days officially kicks off today, and participants will receive bi-weekly email encouragement, foot care tips and the chance to win prizes.
Before you begin walking, get your feet pain and problem-free for the duration of the Walkabout and Foot Health Awareness Month with easy tips from Australian Podiatrist, Phillip Vasyli:
· Wash Regularly: Use a lukewarm mild soapy solution to wash your feet and dry them with a clean towel.
· Dry toe-area: When drying wet feet, pay special attention between the toes to prevent the growth of unwanted bacteria.
· Scrub: Regular scrubbing of the feet, particularly the heels, is important as it removes dead skin cells. After soaking feet in warm water, use a pumice stone or foot file to gently smooth calluses and rough patches.
· Trim: Trim toenails once a week and be sure to cut the nails straight across to avoid painful ingrown toenails.
· Use sunscreen: Don’t forget to apply sunscreen on your feet. Like your face, your feet too, need protection from the sun’s rays.
· Moisturize: You need a moisturizer with deep penetrating properties to help keep the skin supple and your soles soft.
· Stretch: Keep your blood circulating by taking the time to periodically point and flex your toes. Don’t forget to stretch your calves which will help keep the Achilles tendons and the plantar fascia from getting tight.
· Choose: Select the proper supportive footwear for your physical activity.
Please find further Walkabout details below and let me know if you’re interested in participating or spreading the word to your readers!
For more information about the Walkabout, visit: http://www.orthaheelusa.com/walkabout
Don’t forget to join the conversation on Twitter and tag images of your scenic daily walks on Instagram #Walkabout2013